Monday, September 13, 2010

A delicious recipe (Philly Cheesesteak Calzones) and a food snob

I have to admit that I'm kind of a food snob. I like to cook only "good food". Meaning no artificially processed stuff, or pre-made items. I like to use the freshest veggies and best cuts of meat i can afford. But i also have a strict weekly grocery budget that i stick too. At about $60-65 bucks a week i make all meals for my husband and I. All Breakfast's, lunches, dinners, snacks, desserts and weekend party food.
That budget also includes getting my cleaning supplies, bathroom stuff, dog food ect. It takes some strict and a little time consuming planning but it has definitely been worth it. We have learned to eat better and save a ton of money in the process. (p.s. Coupons are your best friend!)


Awesome blogs like:
http://www.melskitchencafe.com/ 
http://thepioneerwoman.com/
http://prudencepennywise.blogspot.com/ All help me make it possible.


So for last night's for dinner i made these delicious Philly Cheesesteak Calzones! Thanks to Mel at melskitchencafe.com I LOVE every single one of her recipes! I was stuck in a rut of what to make and these were quick and easy! It was Sunday night and by then my fridge is pretty much empty. (If you stuck your head in my fridge and said something you could probably hear an echo.)  


You can find the recipe here: 
http://www.melskitchencafe.com/2010/04/philly-cheesesteak-calzone.html
Now who can say no to that? I love bread, i love carbs, and i love cheese. (unfortunately my thighs show it) And stuffed bread with cheese and tender meat? Oh yes! I had to make it!


Making the dough is not as difficult as you think it would be. Well not as difficult as I thought it would be. Being a pretty novice baker, i was a little intimated. But i was extremely surprised at the results! I though it would take me hours to make but really it only took a matter of minutes! I made the dough a few hours a head of time and stored it in the fridge tightly covered in plastic wrap till i was ready to use it. In the end when i took these scrumptious smelling beauties out of the oven i was so happy i chose to make them! The bread part of the calzones were very soft and moist. The meat was fantastic too! Super tender and full of flavor!


Next time i will post a pic of the ending result. Mel has some fabulous pictures and a step by step guide to making the calzones. Mine didnt turn out as pretty as hers but they tasted great! Thanks Mel!!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sweet Comments